The key to keeping a bright, healthy smile throughout adulthood is to practice proper oral hygiene...
The key to keeping a bright, healthy smile throughout adulthood is to practice proper oral hygiene. There are many techniques and accessories for keeping your mouth in tip top condition. Their choice depends on individual patient preference and condition (for example, connected with age, periodontitis, fixed braces, dental implants, or other prosthetic restorations). Therefore, at Dental Sense Clinic, we focus on an individual scheme of dental hygiene. During your visit, we will advise on:
- Optimal tooth brushing method
- Oral irrigator use
- Proper toothpaste and brush
- Dental accessories and their proper use (for example dental floss, interdental brushes)
In between regular check-ups, there are simple steps that each of us can take to greatly decrease the risk of developing tooth decay, gum disease and other dental problems:
- Choose soft toothbrushes in order to avoid gum irritation and exposure of tooth necks. Exchange your toothbrush every 3-4 months.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Pay attention to the right technique of doing it. Too energetic brushing may cause hypersensitivity. Remember to brush not only the teeth, but also the gums and the tongue.
- Use dental products that contain fluoride, including toothpaste. They strengthen the enamel and prevent cavities.
- Use dental floss and interdental brushes which allow for cleaning the interdental spaces thoroughly. Remember that a standard toothbrush cleans only 60% of the tooth surface.
- Limit sugary foods, especially snacking them between meals. Sugars in food and drinks play a major role in the development of dental caries.
- If you have no possibility to clean your teeth after a meal, rinse your mouth with water, or better with a mouthrinse, for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Additionally, you can use chewing gum. However, choose gums containing xylitol instead of sugar.